Sunday, November 26, 2006

Incident with 2403 S. 16th Avenue residents

Incident with 2403 S. 16th Avenue residents


In the last 30 minutes, my son and I had a nasty incident occur. It didn't have to be, but the residents at 2403 made it so.

Before it even started, their younger son was calling for my son saying "Hey white boy" but Josiah brushed it off seeing as it wasn't his name. I doubt even their younger son understood he didn't have to call him by that and just say "hey, do you want to play?" since he was the only other child outside.

But the incident all started when my son was playing with their two younger kids outside at the townhome park. They were playing fine until two older brothers ( or just kids who also live at 2403) decided to go out on the playground as well. They didn't want to play, but harass the younger kids. They threw footballs at them, they chased and called them names.

I didn't think this very funny and asked them to leave the younger kids alone. They ignored me and persisted. Josiah went after then with a stick, and from my position did not see whether he hit one of the older kids or pushed him. Either way, the older child's response was to throw my son on the ground. My parental instincts kicked in and I put my right arm on the older kid's shoulder ( though briefly because he ran away ) and told him to leave my son alone.

Honestly, I cannot stand bullying. But the older children decided I had gone too far and went to their parents. ( one of the younger children already had gone inside 2403 a few minutes prior balling his head off due to harassment) Then their Grandmother came out and asked what was happening. She immediately went into attack mode and told me that we had no right on "their property."

So I went home with Josiah, his toys, and tricycle. Even while he was in the yard, we were approached by the Grandmother and her children who cussed me out. Again we were told we were unwelcome and she would call the police if we set foot on their property. Though we are friends with the residents at 1611, 1613, 1615,1617 and 2402, residents at 2403 claim sway over property rights. After her tirade, they all went home.

A few minutes later a middle-aged man came running out of 2403 cussing at me and saying he would kick my ass. The women called him back saying he didn't need assault charges when it would be me going to jail - according to them. Stopping, he and his eldest son told me to "watch my back."

Not since I was Josiah's current age ( 4 ) have I felt so unwelcome and threatened by my neighbors. The root cause of both incidences appear to be racism. The residents at 2403 are primarily Native American, and East Phillips is known for its extreme Nativist mentality. Brandy was made fun of by natives at the park, they called her Fiona after the character on Shrek . I have been told by native youth on my walk home from work that I was in the "wrong hood." But the residents at 2403 are clearly the most threatening to myself and my family.

The residents at 2403 also do not like our Ethiopian, Somali, and Oromo friends who live at the other mentioned townhomes. The older kids of 2403 take glee in saying that they smell and make racist comments. It appears 2403 residents have no intention of supporting a community.

I see potential for this situation to improve, but will need outside assistance. I first contacted the Minneapolis Police Department, who came to my home and referred me to the mediation phone number. I called the Minneapolis Mediation Project and e-mailed the City of Lake Community Land Trust. The townhomes were created by CLCLT and TC Habitat for Humanity, so I believe there is some sort of association in charge. The sooner we can resolve this issue, the sooner we can prevent future ones from escalating as well. I pray for the best results to occur and we can have peace and understanding on our block.

No comments: