Friday, August 29, 2008

The Search for Oromo Leadership

Dr. Muhammad Shamsaddin Megalommatis
I went very attentively through Mr. Abdulkadir Gumi´s article ´Oromos: unblessed with leaders´ and I do find it as an excellent opportunity to exchange with my friend some ideas and approaches in public. I know Mr. Abdulkadir Gumi personally, and I have come to appreciate (and benefit from) his strong Oromo culture, his political resoluteness, and his commitment to the Oromo Cause. Abdulkadir is a young Borana Oromo political activist, who deserves great respect for the help he has offered to many Oromo refugees, penniless refugees, and undeservedly imprisoned asylum seekers.

In an opinion editorial published yesterday in many websites, Mr. Abdulkadir Gumi asserted that the Oromo Nation has currently no great caliber political leaders able to "rise above their village, clans, interest". Little matters whether I agree with the statement or not. Abdulkadir may be right in his comparisons with examples of African leaders, but I would like to pinpoint some yet unnoticed truths. At the end of this article, I republish Mr. Abdulkadir Gumi´s editorial which was the occasion for me to put together the following points.

Point 1 – Worldwide lack of political (and not only) leadership read more

No comments: